One of the main materials used at DS Smith Tecnicarton to manufacture the industrial packaging is corrugated cardboard, 100% recyclable and biodegradable.
Although packaging was initially used to transport mainly food from the manufacturer to the consumer, the fact is that it has gradually been perfected and, today, packaging is necessary to preserve almost any type of goods during transport or long periods of time. But this revolution in the packaging sector has not stopped and are increasingly protected products in distribution chains.
In the industrial sector, the cardboard box has been able to win the battle against the wooden box, becoming the protective and transport packaging in mass consumer products. Proof of this is the number of products packed or packed with cardboard that pass through our hands every day.
The advantages cardboard has for the environment are the following ones:
1. It is one of the materials with the least environmental impact. Its manufacture means a reduction of up to 60% in CO2 and oil emissions compared to other materials.
2. It is 100% recyclable and biodegradable. Corrugated cardboard degrades completely within a maximum period of one year. As it is basically cellulose, its decomposition time is scarce and if it is exposed to favourable weather conditions, for example if it is in a humid environment, this degradation accelerates even more.
3. Minimizes waste generation. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle: this is the way to avoid the unnecessary consumption of cardboard.
4. Recycled cardboard does not lose durability or resistance. After recycling, corrugated cardboard does not lose quality or properties and is also more economical.
5. Recycling cardboard allows us to save energy that can be used in the manufacture of other resources. 90% less water and 50% less electricity are needed to make them.
DS Smith Tecnicarton manufactures many of the industrial packaging mainly in corrugated cardboard and those designed to support the quality demands of the customers’ products, offering them the possibility of making them to measure and guaranteeing the protection of their parts throughout the process.